Foodie Friends - The Saturday Baking Challenge

Journalist Amy runs a blog of cakes, sweet treats, happiness and stunning photography - "The Saturday Baking Challenge"

Sugary goodness. Photo provided by A. Davies


When did you begin your blog and why?
I began blogging about 2 years ago, but I only began my Saturday Baking Challenge blog at the end of last year. It came about because I'd just moved into a flat where I had my very own kitchen for the first time (no longer sharing with students!) and I started to really get into my baking. As a postgraduate journalism student I'd also been involved in a craft/cooking magazine so this is where my interest had been sparked. I decided it would be a good idea to document the challenges I'd taken on in the baking world for a couple of reasons, as a quick way to tell my friends and family what I'd been up to, to remind me what I'd already made(!) and importantly to practice my food photography. As I work full time on Photo Radar, I'm obviously keen to expand my photographic skills, so this seemed like the perfect opportunity to do that. So all in all, it was the combination of three of my biggest passions, writing, photography and cooking!



What is the essence of your blog?
I will try to bake something I've never baked before every week (Saturday) and post about my experiences on the blog, whether positive or negative. I photograph all of the things that I make and try to offer other people advice on how I went about it. I take submissions from people if they want to get involved and I'll try and make anything that's suggested to me. I get the recipes from the internet, books and magazines.



What do you enjoy about blogging?
I enjoy blogging because it gives me an excuse to bake and also because it gives me a creative outlet that I completely control myself. Obviously, working for a big media organisation is great fun, but I'm not in control of everything that I contribute to, whereas with this, it's all my work and I can do what I like with it. I also think it's a fun way to tell people about what you've been up to and I really enjoy the challenge of taking the photos to go with the writing - it's also a great avenue to practice a different style of writing that I don't do on an everyday basis.


Where is your favourite foodie place in Cardiff?
It has to be the wonderful Cardiff Market, which I'm very fortunate to live only about 1 minute away from! I go there every Saturday to pick up ingredients not only for my baking but also for my whole week of cooking and it almost always has everything I need and for a great deal cheaper than the supermarkets which are also nearby. In terms of baking, it's also great for picking up baking equipment for a reasonable price.



I also love the Kitchens shop which is also very close to my home, which is excellent for fun things for my baking and a great place to pick up food colourings, decorating accessories and pretty much anything else kitchen related.

Comments

Popular Posts