Foodie Friends -

Post-grad journalism student, Fiona, is the next local blogger under the microscope. Visit Fiona's blog - Horseradish on Toast



When did you begin blogging and why?
I started blogging in October at the behest of one of my tutors on the Cardiff journalism course. He asked us all to think of a niche topic and my mind went entirely blank. Football - fashion - sport - politics - they all left me cold. But I went out for lunch (Ha Ha, for ham egg and chips) afterwards and as I was busy deconstructing and ogling the menu I realised that was it: food. If I'm not eating I'm talking about food, and if I'm not talking about it I'm probably thinking about it, weighing up options for the next meal. It makes me sound dangerously obsessed (and pretty unhealthy) but it's just that it's what I'm most passionate about.

What is the essence of your blog?
Foodwriting can be incredibly pretentious, and although it's great we're moving towards organic, sustainable, locally-sourced food, I think it can all get a bit unrealistic. No-one really has the time perpetually to be whipping up healthy superfood salads straight from their vegetable patch. So I decided to write about the food I love, the food I grew up with, the food that's simple and straightforward and often a bit old-fashioned - food that strikes a chord with people. So it's full of comfort food like custard and pies, and kitsch things like glace cherries. Over time, as I've been out seeing more of what Cardiff has to offer, I've moved more towards reviews, but I've tried to retain a straightforward, unpretentious voice at its heart.

Why do you enjoy blogging?
I love blogging because I love the chance to write about my passion without a particular deadline or mission in mind. Much as I love my journalism training, it's lovely to have free rein to write in my style and according to my tastes. What's surprised me more over time is how much comment it can generate - I love that sometimes my blog will inspire debates and reminiscences. I think the campaigns of late to bring back Wispa etc have shown how much food can be a nostalgic bond as much as anything else.

What are some of your favourite food things around Cardiff?
Cardiff is amazing for food! Of course it's great that we're getting more and more of the big chains, like the recently-opened Carluccio's and Jamie's Italian, but what I love most is how many independent cafes and bars we have. Milgi's in City Road is great for breakfast and their Pieminster pies are gorgeous - I'm very fortunate in having the perfect The Pot Cafe on the corner of my road, with its mixture of French and American kitsch, beautiful cupcakes and again amazing breakfast - Madame Fromage galettes are wonderful - there's the New York Deli.. and of course the Ten Feet Tall/Mr Smith's mini-chain, which is great value for good pub-esque food. And I love being able to buy Welsh cakes everywhere.... to be honest the biggest challenge of my course is not spending the entirety of my student loan on eating out.

Comments

Its nice to see so many welsh bloggers!!
http://daisymay-dayz.blogspot.com/

Popular Posts