Mini Bites: July

Festival Fun

As mentioned in my previous post, Cardiff International Food and Drink Festival is on in Cardiff Bay this weekend.  The event runs from Friday 8th July until Sunday 10th July and is free (aside from some ticketed events).  Find more info on their website.

A week later, head across the water to Kymin House in Penarth and experience the town's first ever local food festival on Sunday 17th July.  With 30 stalls confirmed at the time of writing, including local bakeries, honey products, handmade gourmet chocolates, local cheese and wines, there should be enough to keep everyone full for the afternoon.   Summing up the event, festival organiser Susannah McWilliam says, “We are really excited about Penarth's first food festival. It will be a fantastic opportunity to celebrate and showcase local growers, suppliers and producers and a chance to enjoy fresh and tasty produce. Local food is about supporting the local economy, lowering food miles and creating healthy sustainable communities. So come along and enjoy the celebration.” Again, the event is free and runs from 11am to 3pm.

Awards Season

Exciting times at Chez Bites as last month saw me amongst industry experts as part of the judging panel at the Wales True Taste Awards 2011 final. To be invited to sit alongside restaurateurs, chefs, producers and established journalists was very humbling but I held my own.  I'm thrilled to have taken part, sampling the very best Wales has to offer, and can't wait to see who wins the coveted Gold, Silver and Bronze awards in October.

Competition of a different kind at the Wales Blog Awards, with nominations opening for the 2011 awards today.  I'm thrilled to say that the organisers took on board the feedback from last year and have expanded the categories, giving Food and Drink Bloggers across Wales our very own category as well as an opportunity for the People's Choice Award, where everyone can vote for their favourite blog.  Whilst I won't be so crass as to expect you to vote for this blog, there are excellent bloggers out there who all deserve your support.  Competition will be tough, but it's great to see our genre getting the recognition it deserves.

All Change


As I've mentioned in my last post, this month sees me moving house.  Not only will this mean that you won't be getting many more posts from me this month, it'll also see me moving to Penarth.  Whilst I don't intend on changing my blog name (Penarth Bites isn't as catchy), you may start seeing some great venues appear on this site which just happen to be across the bay.  Watch this space and I'll see you all in August!

Comments

Popular Posts