A food blogger walks into a bar...

I don't often use this blog for my own personal gripes but I just had to recount my experience of ordering a drink at Chapter Arts yesterday afternoon - service with a smile this was not.

It was roughly five o' clock when I approached the bar.  Several punters were waiting and I duly waited my turn.  My server approached asking if I had been served.  Our conversation went a little bit like this...

Barmaid: Have you been served?
Me:  No, can I have a pint of Merry X-Moose (guest ale) and a pint of Happy Daze (cider)
Barmaid: (scowling) What?
Me: A pint of Merry X-Moose and a pint of Happy Daze
Barmaid: (angrily) What is this?  What do you want?
Me: (pointing at the pump) erm.... Merry X-Moose?  It's one of your guest ales?  (starting to doubt myself)
Barmaid: (looks at the pumps) Oh.... why didn't you ask for bitter? (looks exasperatedly at her fellow staff and rolls her eyes to show how inconsiderate I have been)
She pours the pint and thrusts it toward me
Barmaid: Anything else? (accusatory)
Me: Erm.... a pint of Happy Daze?
Barmaid:  What?  What are you asking for now?!
Me:  (points at second pump) um.... it's the cider there
Barmaid: (Starts grumbling incoherently) Fine.... (pours pint).... ANYTHING ELSE?
Me: (Timidly) Some pork... erm... scratchings.... they're... um.... at the back (points)
Barmaid: (Continues grumbling and starts to enter it all in the till) I can't find these things, where are the prices?! (waits for colleague to finish serving someone else and has him enter the prices in for her then grabs the ten pound note from my hand with a scowl)

I've never had anything other than a warm welcome at Chapter before yesterday and I have to say it was a bit of a shock.  I understand that Christmas is a busy time but the bar itself wasn't particularly busy (around 10 punters and three members of barstaff) and I also understand that guest ales that constantly change can be confusing if you're not used to the bar but surely a smile and some politeness wouldn't go amiss? The other barstaff had, in the meantime, managed to serve 2 or 3 people each, so why was my server making such a scene over a relatively simple order of 2 drinks? I was left feeling absolutely horrid because of her attitude but couldn't see anyone to raise the issue with.Has anyone else had a similar experience and how do you handle rude staff? 

Comments

Kath said…
I understand that everyone has an off-day but this seems like bizarre behaviour for someone serving behind a bar. Your order couldn't have been clearer and you specifically requested which drinks you wanted, which ought to have helped. Had you asked for bitter, surely she would then have had to ask you which bitter you wanted?? Don't feel bad about writing this up. You did nothing wrong and I'm amazed you kept your cool with all that muttering from her. I'm not sure I would have done.
Thanks Kath, it truly was bizarre. I found her very aggressive and slightly intimidating but couldn't find an obvious reason for it - it wasn't that busy, it wasn't late and all the punters were in a pleasant mood. Whatever her problem was she decided to give me both barrels. It's disappointing when Chapter staff are, from previous experience, a happy bunch who enjoy cameraderie with the clientele there. I've tweeted a link to Chapter and welcome a response from them about this blip in their otherwise faultless record.
Mr. P said…
I work in the service industry. There's no excuse. I am amazed you didn't yell at her. They say barmaids are stupid. This one really was!

(They are all style and no substance in there anyway! :)
The food/drink industry, particularly catering and service, is bloody hard and usually thankless. However, that doesn't excuse sheer rudeness :(

On a positive note I did get a response from the good people at Chapter who said they were dealing with the matter and thanked me for bringing it to their attention :)
Emma B said…
I was just reading some of your older blogs and wondered if you ever heard any further about your complaint r.e poor service in Chapter?
I did indeed. Chapter tweeted me a little while later saying that they had spoken to the member of staff and that the issue had been dealt with. I'm pleased to say that I've received nothing but lovely service since.

Popular Posts