Mini Bites: April

Our summer is over.  That brief glimmer of Mediterranean heat that was March has faded into April showers as the garden gets a well earned drink.

Breakfast Bites

Maybe it was the weather last month but the Continental Breakfast Platter (£5.95) at Wally's Kaffeehaus may be my new favourite way to start the day.  A plate of cured, cooked meats, Swiss emmental cheese, a boiled egg and toast - what's not to love.  Wash it down with one of their selection of coffees and drift away to warmer climes.

Lush Lunches

Talk to anyone from Penarth about food and sooner or later the question comes up, "Have you been to Lushies yet?".  David Lush Butchers is possibly Penarth's worst kept secret and certainly one I've become well acquainted with since moving here last summer.  Not only do they sell the usual joints and mince, head in deeper and grab yourself a pie (my favourite is steak and ale, made with local VoG beer) or one of their enormous rolls - mountains of roasted Welsh beef, chicken or pork, piled high into a baguette and seasoned.  If you've not had one then this is definitely worth a trip.

Sweet Treats

I'm not normally a sucker for a new product but when I saw Cadbury's Philadelphia advertised I knew I had to have some.  It's definitely a divisive product but if you like Nutella then you'll probably like this.  I had a crack at cooking with it yesterday - Cream Cheese Brownies from Nigella Lawson's "How to be a Domestic Goddess" (page 194 if you're interested), and oh my god they were amazing.  Give it a try next time you bake and let me know what you think.

Openings and new starts

If you're on Twitter then you probably already know David's story.  David had a dream to open a tea-room and over the last two years has kept a blog on his journey to make this a reality.  I'm absolutely delighted that this has been realised in the opening of Pettigrew Tea Rooms situated in the West Lodge as you enter Bute Park.  Visitors have so far raved about the place and I can't wait to get in there myself and try the cake for myself.

In other news it's been announced that Chef Grady Atkins, formerly of Park House Club and Le Gallois, has taken up a role as Head Chef at Park Plaza's Laguna Kitchen and Bar.  I'm already a fan of Laguna and Grady's food so am excited to see what he brings to the place.

Comments

Popular Posts