Memories

I'm in my nonna's kitchen. It's spring or summer and the sunlight is streaming through the window. A pot of soug is bubbling away on the hob throwing out its savoury scent of beef and tomatoes.

My nonna is patiently kneading dough. Arthritis and an accident in her 30s have left her hands painfully misshapen, yet she skilfully pulls and pushes the dough with her knuckles until it becomes elastic. I must be school-aged as I can see over the counter, mesmerised by the rhythm of her movements.

At last she rolls the dough into a long, thin sausage and begins cutting it into sections with a blunt knife. She takes each dumpling and shows me how to dent it into shape with a flick of my thumb. She tells me how she used to do this with my mother when she was my age.

I try copying her movements but mine look ungainly by comparison. But no matter, it'll all end up in the pot. She moves the finished gnocchi to a metal tray and covers them with a tea towel. The tray is a gaudy 70s affair, oranges, browns and greens form a geometric pattern against the plain cotton towel.

I beg her to cook them now and she laughs, tells me to enjoy the sunshine a while - we must wait for the sauce. I do as I'm told and sit on a rug in the yard she calls a garden, flicking through an old annual belonging to my mum.

After what seems like a lifetime she returns to the kitchen and drops the dumplings into the hot water. A minute or so later they bob to the surface, plump as pillows. Nonna drains them and adds a spoonful of the sauce. I sit at the table and add my Parmesan whilst she cuts some bread, "for the sauce" she explains.

We sit and eat in silence, devouring every last morsel.

Comments

Ceri said…
This reminds me of being in the kitchen when my mother was cooking. A childhood filled with images of her in the kitchen and flour everywhere. :)
Flour everywhere usually meant I was trying to bake (funnily, it still does). Some of my happiest memories of my childhood are of cooking and eating with my family.
Anonymous said…
Sounds wonderful! I wish I'd had more of an interest in food and cooking as a child. It's a relatively recent thing for me and I've probably missed out on a lot of what could have been lovely foodie memories.

Hannah @ Love to Dine
http://lovetodine.wordpress.com
Food was always a big deal growing up, especially with my Nonna's family. I'm not sure if this is the Italian influence, the fact she lived through a war or that she's from a poor part of Italy. That said, my Welsh family also cooked a lot - lots of cakes, pastries and Sunday "High Tea"!

Popular Posts