Lunch at Mimosa

Good things come to those who wait, or so the adverts tell us. And so after a few weeks delay I found myself sitting at a table in Cardiff's first self proclaimed "gastro-bar".

The decor is contemporary - with chocolate brown walls, slate floors and a high, white ceiling, leaving you feeling as if you're nestled in a giant cappuccino - and the atmosphere relaxed.

We were led to our table by an eager young waiter, given the specials menu and immediately told what was "off", what the alternatives were and what was the "Soup of the Day". This was encouraging as it's a pet hate of mine to be savouring the menu for twenty minutes only to be told the dish you'd set your heart on is "off" that day. Mimosa cut to the chase with an easy efficiency of a staff that knows what its doing.

So to begin at the beginning, my partner ordered the soup - Perl Wen and Broccoli - whilst I opted for the Grilled Plum Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Crostini. After a short wait these were served by another eager and knowledgeable member of the team. The soup was both creamy and light, with a good taste of the blue Perl Wen cutting through the iron of the broccoli. This came served with what can only be described as a doorstop of fresh wholemeal bread which my partner remarked had a good crust and a soft, chewy centre.

My crostini was equally good. The warm, toasted ciabatta topped with slices of sweet plum tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, pesto and an olive tapenade. As well as looking beautiful and fresh, the spice of the tapenade against the sweetness of the tomatoes and the wonderfully gooey cheese was a joy to eat. It is also available as a main course (£5.95) and I would imagine it would make a perfect lunchtime meal on a hot summer's day, accompanied by a green salad.

For the main course my partner opted for the Medallions of Pork from the Specials menu. I however went with the Farsie Chicken with Mushroom and Spinach from the main menu and wasn't disappointed. The chicken came stuffed with mushrooms in a Perl Wen sauce accompanied by creamed, garlic spinach. The chicken was wonderfully succulent, the mushrooms forming something close to paté inside it. The sauce was creamy and the spinach had a good strong taste of garlic. Feeling deprived by the lack of starch I ordered a side portion of hand cut chips, but I needn't have bothered as there was plenty on my plate to keep me occupied. The chips themselves were well browned but unfortunately not crisp.

The pork came as a tower - with colcannon mash at the base, the pork sat atop it and finished off with an apple crisp. A creamy honey and mustard sauce smothered the whole lot. Whilst the pork was tender, melting at the sight of the fork, the mash was decidedly uncabbagey considering it was colcannon, and the apple crisp a tad overdone. However, the whole dish was still magnificent.

As usual, dessert was left to me, my partner opting for the Fairtrade Americano coffee instead. Whilst several things caught my eye (namely the Chocolate Torte and the Rhubarb Cheesecake) I just had to try the Crème Brûlée with Basil Sugar. I was intrigued if slightly apprehensive at this sweet/savoury combo but there was no need. The light Crème Anglaise was topped with a vibrant green basil sugar which was fragrant and refreshing after the rich main course. It is still possibly the weirdest thing I have ever eaten but I would highly recommend it - the best pudding I've eaten in a long time!

All this was washed down with a bottle of the Statua Blanca, which was accurately described as lemony - very crisp and refreshing.

As with my previous visit to Mimosa, this place fills up very quickly and I do insist that if you want to eat here - book! There were no tables left for lunch at 2pm and several people were turned away. Children are most welcome at Mimosa, with several families dining at the same time as us. It is also currently non-smoking before 5pm - this being extended when the new smoking ban comes into force - so you can dine in comfort.

The whole meal, with wine, came to £49.10. This is truly one of the best places I have eaten in a long time - not only for the amazing food but also the friendly staff and general ambience.

A big thanks to Greg for suggesting this!

Mimosa Kitchen & Bar
Mermaid Quay
Cardiff Bay, CF10 5BZ

Tel: 02920 491900

Comments

Popular Posts