Sushi at Zushi

It all started last week. A colleague's girlfriend will be visiting soon and he invited us to join them for a meal.

Now as much as I love cooking (and of course, eating), I hate picking restaurants when we eat out with strangers. Food is such a personal thing and something each individual has an opinion on (even if that opinion is "I don't care, it's only food"). After much debate about where we eat my colleague suggested a little sushi
place in the centre of Cardiff.

I got very excited by this as I haven't found an oriental style of cooking that I didn't like (Thai, Cantonese - you name it!) - and whilst I have eaten supermarket sushi (yuck don't bother!), the thought of eating freshly prepared sushi sounded too good to pass up.

I rushed home and told Dom the news. He too was intrigued so we hatched a plan to visit there over the weekend to "check it out". So Saturday lunchtime we ventured in and settled ourselves down in one of the booths next to the kaiten (conveyor belt) that snakes its way from the preperation area all the way around the restaurant.

After a few minutes of worrying, we picked our first taste off the conveyor belt, Prawn Nigiri. A small flattened piece of sushi rice topped with the biggest prawn I have ever seen. This was quickly dipped in the soy sauce and wasabe and devoured with much relish.

Next we tried some sashimi tuna (raw and cut razor thin). Dom was apprehensive, but there was no need. The fresh pinkness of the tuna, mixed with the hot salt of the soy and wasabe was out of this world. Think of the best piece of meat you ever ate, and your still not even close.

In quick succession we gobbled up some little nori rolls (seaweed wrapped sushi rice with a filling) with avacado and asparagus. The soft creaminess of the avacado balanced by the bite of the asparagus. I was in heaven.

Approaching full capacity (for my dear readers, a little sushi rice goes a long way) we grabbed a pudding to share. Called a Japanese Rice Cake, but looking suspiciously like a pan cake, the honey drenched batter was filled with cinammon and poppy seeded rice. How can something deep fried be so light?!

All this and a large bottle of water to wash it down with came to just under £14 for the two of us. Bargain! I can't wait to go back this week!

Zushi
The Aspect
140 Queen Street
Cardiff CF10 2GP
Tel: 02920 66 99 11

Comments

Popular Posts